Katharina Chiao-Li Fuchs
This month spotlight is on Katharina Chiao-Li Fuchs, make-up-artist and model based in Berlin.
Born in Paris and raised in Germany, Katharina has been traveling a lot not only with her former job as a private flight attendant. With her passion for makeup, at some point came the strong desire for change, and the decision for a new career in the german capital, where she works successfully as a make-up artist.
The fun fact about how we met for the first time: When I just opened APRIL FIRST, the store was booked for a commercial spot from DKB. The model? Was our Fall Muse Katharina. I remember her unique and energetic look.
Please have a closer look to our latest #aprilfirstmuse Katharina and enjoy scrolling through all her stunning fall looks.
1. Describe yourself in 3 words to people who don’t know you.
Classy, caring and fun.
2. What is it that people are most surprised to know about you?
I always have stories out of my life to tell – with bestseller book potential.
3. Any hidden talents?
I know a lot about Astrology! What’s your sun, rising and moon :)?!
4. You were born in Paris, lived in many cities in Germany and now in Berlin, how come?
My parents met and fell in love with each other in Paris (the reason why I was made there). We moved around in Germany plenty times due to my dad’s job. I studied in The Hague/Amsterdam and never planned on going back to Germany. But when I was 21, I had a model job for the first time in Berlin and was immediately head over heels with the city. To me, Berlin is the definition of freedom.
5. As a half Taiwanese half German, which culture feels most like home?
Mhh hard to say. I think I’m a good mix from different cultures. I’m always super punctual (German), Dresscode classy/effortless (Paris, France) and in the morning I’m always having a glass of warm water which is super Asian.
6. You've been modeling since you are 15, later you successfully started a career as a make-up artist. What was the turning point?
I’ve always been very fascinated about the power of make-up. How it can transform a person- positively and negatively :) When i started modeling, I always admired the hair&make-up artists and wanted to become one by myself. The only problem was, that the education was too expensive for me back in the days. In 2020, I had a long talk with my dad about my future, since I got super frustrated with my job situation (was a flight attendant on a private jet). He encouraged me to do what I really love and financed my hair&make-up school. It was a hard and long way to get where I am now, but I have arrived and love my job so much!!
7. Imagine, tomorrow would be the premiere of your own movie: What make-up look would you choose?
Oh my god, I’ve been day dreaming about this moment plenty times! Finally, somebody is asking me haha. So, I would have sleek open hair and a Cleopatra cat eye inspired make-up look.
"I think I’m a good mix from different cultures."
- I’m always super punctual like a good German, my Dresscode classy & effortless as a French woman and in the morning I’m always having a glass of warm water which is super Asian.
8. …and which outfit would you choose?
Of course, the A.L.C. dress- I felt like a 100 billion goddess in it!!
9. On social media you call yourself Kaly_Fox, is there a story behind it?
My full name ‘Katharina Chiao-Li Fuchs’ is my ‘brand’ and I’m having many fun personalities and names for my private and business life. Kaly is the mix of Katharina + Chiao-Li. Kaly Fox got invented 7 years ago in Melbourne, Australia with my friend Lucy when we were thinking about an artist name.
10. Your spirit animal?
The wasp - it reminds me of the love to life, myself and everything around me. It tells me that everything is possible and I can create everything I want to have in my life.
11. What is your favorite piece from the shooting?
The Alémais dress paired with the beautiful creme color cowboy boots.
Photographer: Alicia Minkwitz